As if California doesn’t have enough fires to fight, one man in northern California started a fire when he could have used a shoe.
The Redding Record Searchlight reports that Lyndsey Wisegarver tried to kill a spider with a torch light and ended up burning his apartment building so badly, residents have been forced to move out.
“It was a huge wolf spider,” Wisegarver said. Wisegarver is a caregiver for one of the men living in the apartment.
Once Wisegarver set the arachnid ablaze, it jumped on a mattress, setting it on fire. The fire then quickly spread to a flag collection and drapes in the bedroom.
Residents tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose but they were unsuccessful. Officials said the fire caused about $11,000 in damage.
Battalion Chief Rob Pitt said all the residents escaped from the building and no one was injured.